Well it's Monday. Again. But this Monday is different. I still have my day job so still need to spend 8 hours a day working for my daytime employers, but my approach is changing.
I'd spent a little time starting to resent the fact that I spend my days working for someone else while my dreams go around and around in my head. It's not just that I'm working for others - a lot of people do it. There are a whole heap of other things tied up with it that really aren't appropriate to discuss here. I've purposely done a whole about-face on that though, and now I'm thankful. Not just for the money, although I really am very appreciative of it. But for the following:
- My employers are flexible if I need to do stuff like drop my daughter down the street to an appointment because she doesn't drive
- They've been incredibly understanding when she's been in and out of hospital for an incredibly long time in the first part of this year and allowed me to take as much time as I need to provide her with support and make the time up later on
- I learn HEAPS while working on their businesses that I can apply to my own
- I have two employers in two different businesses so the tasks I undertake for them are different or coming from a different angle which increases my learning curve
- I have income to ensure I can pay my bills, put food on the table and have a little extra while my business is taking shape
- I get to work from home and in this day and age when people are struggling to find work, let alone keep it, I am so very, very blessed to be in such a position
- I work for others four days a week and am incredibly fortunate to have three whole days where I can do whatever I want to do - laugh, sleep, love, create, eat (not necessarily in that order!)
So I didn't "work" on the weekend. I was productive. A client of mine gave me the go ahead last week to create her new website and that's what I've spent 80% of my waking hours on over the weekend. There was some stuff there that I've never even contemplated doing in the past and the learning curve was steep, but I did it. I prospered. I learnt and I felt goooooooooooooooood. The other 20% I spent at a pub on a cliff overlooking the beach in one of my favourite small towns. With my daughter, eating lunch and watching for whales. We didn't see any but I did beat her in a game of pool afterwards! If you knew how badly I play pool and how good she is at it, you'd understand why I'm so chuffed.
So anyway, it's Monday. Again. I'm working for my bosses today, again. But this week? I'm being so incredibly productive - and it's not "work".
How could you turn your approach to "work" around so that it's a hallmark of your productivity as opposed to something to be borne and gotten through? What approaches have you had to work or life in the past that you've let go of and would like to reconnect with?